Monday, November 22, 2010

You grew in my heart for so very long...

I cannot pinpoint the age I was when I felt the spirit of adoption in my heart-I have always known that I wanted to be a mother to a child who did not have one, and God placed on my heart long before I met my husband that I was to adopt a child from China.

Brad and I met when I was 20 and the Lord has blessed us with 19 years of a wonderful and happy marriage. For the last 7 years I have been wanting to begin the adoption process, but every time the Lord blocked our path with something-job losses, remodeling house, etc. Even my parents had given up on us ever having children (I never desired a biological child-although I gave Brad that option and he said no). You see, when most women were gushing over babies and pregnancy I was uncomfortable around that. I would get depressed when I saw a family with an Asian child because that was what I longed for! I never could explain it and I never told others because I knew they would think me “strange”. Even now, people “assume” Brad and I could not “conceive” and that is why we chose adoption-and that is not the case! When Brad and I finally got to the point we were financially able to begin the adoption process, China had not only changed the rules but the wait time was getting longer and longer, and my husband was not ready. It took lots and lots of praying (and crying), for him to come to the decision this was God’s plan for us.

Since we began the process last September everything has moved along very smoothly and even the timing of when Natalie’s referral came along boggles my mind, and God has just opened up door after door, very quickly, for us to be a family.

No comments: