Thursday, January 27, 2011

HOME

We are home at last! We arrived safely home at 8pm Saturday the 22nd (1 hour BEFORE we would have boarded a plane for BWI). We are so grateful to my parents who made the trip to Newark, NJ to pick us up at that airport. The flight home was not a good one-15 long hours. Natalie did as well as could be expected, but she slept for only 2 hours of those 15. The remainder of the time she fought sleep with every minute that passed. I told Brad by the time we got over Canada-10 hours into our flight-I felt like a punching bag. She never really cried for long, but she squirmed, kicked, punched, banged her head and literally would not sit still or sleep. She didn't want to be held, but she only wanted me at the same time. It was completely frustrating-and their wasn't a darn thing we could do. I have had a very bad head cold-and breathing was not easy on the plane-and the altitude made everything move to my chest. By the time we got off the plane, I had very little voice and was dehydrated. BUT, by God's grace we survived, and are finally feeling a little better.

Getting Natalie into a routine has been my priority since arriving home. I figure the sooner we are able to show her that each day is the same-the more secure she will feel. (After all, she was on a very regimented schedule at the orphanage, then her world was turned upside down in one day-and she has had NO consistency since then.) However, that is easier said than done with family stopping in and doctor appointments to keep. I thought when we arrived home we would just hunker down and hide in the house for about a month. But I am finding out real quick that I miss getting out of the house, and seeing people. I forgot about how much MY life would change with suddenly having no job to get up to go to each day-ontop of motherhood to a Velcro baby. I suddenly miss "peeing" in peace!

God has been gracious, but I sometimes wonder if the saying "He never gives you more than you can handle" was made up by some delusional human being. We arrived home Saturday night-sick and tired-and Sunday afternoon my husband was rushing one of our cats to the PET Emergency with urinary tract infection. Then yesterday we got a snowstorm and Natalie had a very important pediatrician appointment. But we too survived that. It stopped snowing before we had to leave-we had no problems with the roads-were able to get a few things at Babies R Us, and get home right before round two of the snow hit! We had 9 inches when we woke up this morning.

Natalie was a real trooper at the doctors. They all loved her to death. The pediatrician was pleased with her overall health, but because she had heart surgery in China, she has had NO vaccinations. So round one was yesterday. She got 4 shots, and blood work drawn. I can't believe her resiliency. She cried during the procedures, but had a smile on her face right after it was over. They even had a hard time finding her vein to draw blood-but after it was over, she still had a smile for the nurses and a bye-bye. WOW! Unfortunately, she will have to have more blood drawn tomorrow because she doesn't weigh enough to have taken it all at one time-not looking forward to that.

We introduced her to snow today. She didn't like it, but I know that will all change eventually. We have been blessed with family and friends from OES who have been supplying us with great meals-except for breakfast I haven't had to make a thing-that has been wonderful!!! We would like to try and get to church this Sunday-the Pastor is having a red rose service for Natalie. Otherwise, we will be staying at home.

Again, thank you to everyone for their words of encouragment while we were in China. This blog will not end here-this is an ongoing thing, however, I will eventually make it private.

1 comment:

Dex and Mel said...

Hello -

It was really nice to follow your journey. We got home in October with our Changzhou girl and it feels like it has been a million years! Congratulations!

Also, would you email me the email address for the orphanage? They gave it to me and I can't find it. I have searched everything. Thank you! Good luck!
Melanie Justis
www.gettinglucy.blogspot.com